Well-established law firm in Skipton requires a Practice Manager to manage this busy office in liaison with the Directors, to ensure the everyday smooth running of the office and its staff.
Well-established law firm in Skipton requires a Practice Manager to manage this busy office in liaison with the Directors, to ensure the everyday smooth running of the office and its staff. You will be responsible to varying degrees for compliance, HR, marketing and facilities management throughout the practice. It is expected that the ideal candidate will come from an HR, marketing or compliance background within a law firm. This is a senior role requiring knowledge of what makes a law firm tick and first class organisation, administrative and communication skills as well as the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Drafting and implementing the practice’s policies and procedures to ensure compliance with various legal bodies.
- Keeping the intranet-based Practice Manual up to date.
- Handling the bulk renewal of solicitors’ Practising Certificates.
- HR – setting up and conducting interviews, requesting references and carrying out pre-employment checks, conducting new starter inductions.
- Occupational Health – being the point of contact for the healthcare cashback scheme, flu jabs, eye tests, DSE etc.
- Calculating hourly holiday allowances, maintaining records and arranging cover in the event of sickness/staff shortages.
- Facilitating staff training.
- Ensuring adequate staffing of Reception/Admin, scheduling of (non-secretarial) admin staff and organising sickness cover at short notice.
- Preparing appraisal forms and relevant statistics and administering the annual appraisal process and conducting the appraisals of Reception/Admin staff.
- Advertising (radio and hard copy) – booking, and liaising with designers and the publications – and website. Drafting and issuing press releases.
- Internal communications including staff announcements and meetings and team/departmental meetings and organisation of staff events.
- Being the first point of contact for insurers (office, buildings, cyber risk and Professional Indemnity).
- Ensure repairs and ad hoc maintenance of the building is undertaken and liaising with tradesmen and Directors.
- Remedying IT problems where possible and liaison with IT staff and Directors.
You will need:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in a professional services organisation as a Practice Manager, HR Manager or Office Manager. Experience of working in a law firm preferred.
- A degree and/or post-graduate qualification in Marketing/HR/Governance or similar.
- Knowledge/experience of the legal profession essential.
- Excellent organisational skills, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Good typing skills – typing qualification preferred but ability to type own work is essential.
- Computer literate with excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook. Working knowledge of Powerpoint, Excel and Publisher preferable.
- Experience of dealing with printers and designers.
Competitive salary package plus company pension, healthcare cashback scheme, on-site parking (limited), cycle2work scheme, discounted gym membership
Do you know anyone else who may be interested in this role or any of our other vacancies? Refer someone to us whom we successfully place in a new role and you will receive a £100 Gift Voucher. Full details here.